On a wonderfully warm and sunny Summer’s day, Unitarians from across the MUA joined together with Unitarians fromSouth Walesto enjoy a service of celebration in the beautifully restored small chapel of Pen-rhiw.
Initially established in 1777 as a Unitarian ‘chapel in a barn’ and located in Dre-fach Felindre, Camarthenshire, it was dismantled in 1953 and then lovingly re-built and located in its current setting at St Fagan’s, the magnificent open-air National History Museum of Wales, a few miles west of Cardiff. It re-opened for services in 1956.
Following various journeys by Coach, Car, Rail and even bike (well done Gavin Lloyd!) Gerallt Nash, Senior Curator at the Museum started the proceedings for the day with a short and informative talk on the history of the chapel, followed by joint messages of welcome from Ash James , President of the MUA and Keith Lewis-Jones, Secretary of the South East Wales Unitarian Society. Kath Forder, Lay Pastor atKidderminster, then led the congregation in a joyful service of celebration, including some rousing hymns as befitted this Welsh setting! Musical accompaniment was very ably provided by Roger Mathews fromKidderminster. Following the service, congregations picnicked together on the lawns and then toured the large array of exhibits at this superb museum.
This was a lovely day out together, a chance both to celebrate the good fortune we all share in our Unitarian heritage and to meet with friends both old and new. A very big thank you to all those who attended, and who contributed so joyfully to making this such a lovely occasion. Ash James
Keith Lewis-Jones has kindly provided a blog page of pictures here.